|Summary: A person’s sexual drive may be impacted by a number of drugs. Some of them can be used to reduce a man’s sex urge. Antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and beta blockers are a few of the most popular. Continue reading to learn more about them.|
Several medications can have an impact on a person’s sexual drive. Some can cause Erectile Dysfunction, others can make it challenging to get aroused, and others can increase a person’s sexual drive. Some medications can lower testosterone levels, which can lead to decreased libido.
Table of Contents
Common Medications And Their Effects
Here is a look at some of the most common medications and their potential effects on sexual function
● Viagra: Erectile Dysfunction is treated using the drug Viagra. Men can obtain and sustain an erection thanks to the increased blood circulation to the penis. Side effects may include headache, flushing, and vision changes.
● Cialis: Cialis 60mg is another medication used to treat Erectile Dysfunction. It works by blocking the action of phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5), which is responsible for breaking down PDE5 inhibitors like Sildenafil (Viagra). Side effects may include headaches, tiredness, and vision changes.
● Levitra: Levitra is a drug used to treat low testosterone and Erectile Dysfunction. It works by enhancing blood flow to the penis and improving nitric oxide production, both of which help men achieve and maintain an erection. Side effects may include headache, nausea, dizziness, or change in vision.
Possible Medications That Can Help Lower Sexual Drive
A few medications can help lower a man’s sexual drive. Some of these include
● Progest in medication: These drugs can help lower the amount of testosterone circulating in the body, decreasing a man’s libido. They’re usually given to women to treat symptoms like post-menopausal hot flashes. Still, they may also be prescribed to men for other reasons, such as low testosterone levels caused by treatment for cancer or diminished fertility.
● Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators (SERMs): These drugs exist as both oral and topical formulations and work by blocking the action of estrogen on specific tissues in the body. It can lead to an overall decrease in estrogen levels and an increase in testosterone levels, which can improve sexual function in men. SERMs are currently being studied for their potential use in treating various cancers, including prostate cancer, breast cancer, and endometrial cancer.
Types of Medications
Various medications are available to help lower a man’s sexual drive. Some medications may be prescribed by a doctor, while others can be obtained over the counter. Here is a list of some common medications and their effects on the male sex drive:
● Sildenafil (Viagra) is a pill men take to improve their ED. It works by increasing blood flow to the penis and causing an erection.
● Tadalafil (Cialis) is similar to Sildenafil but works as a mild anti-anxiety medication. It may cause fewer side effects when taken with Sildenafil, such as headaches.
● Dapoxetine (Priligy) is an antidepressant that has increased libido in some people. It should not be used if you are taking nitrates for heart disease or angina because it can cause dangerous hypotension.
How To Take Medication?
Many medications can be used to help lower a man’s sexual drive. Some of the most common include antidepressants, anticonvulsants, and beta blockers. Speaking with a doctor about the best medication for each individual is essential, as different drugs work better for different people.
Some antidepressants, like SSRIs, work by increasing serotonin levels in the brain. It can lead to increased happiness and well-being, reducing libido. Other antidepressants, like MAOIs (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors), work by stopping the breakdown of serotonin in the brain. It can result in an increased level of serotonin in the brain, which can again lead to an increased feeling of happiness and well-being, as well as reduced libido.
Anticonvulsants are medications that help control seizures. They sometimes have side effects that can affect sexual function. Beta-blockers are medications often used to treat heart disease and other conditions. They can also have side effects that affect sexual function. Speaking with a doctor about which medication is best for you is essential, as different drugs work better for different people.
Side Effects of Medication
A few medications can be prescribed to help lower a man’s sexual drive. These include drugs like Sildenafil (Viagra), Vardenafil (Levitra), and Tadalafil (Cialis). These medications work by increasing blood flow to the penis, which helps increase arousal and libido. However, these medications have some side effects, which should be considered before taking them.
Some of the side effects of these medications can include headaches, flushing, nasal congestion, and an increased risk of blood clots. Therefore, talking to your doctor about potential side effects is essential before taking them. Additionally, some men may experience changes in their sexual performance while taking these medications. For this reason, discussing your concerns with your doctor before starting treatment is essential.
Sexual desire can be tricky to manage for men, and sometimes medications are prescribed to help lower the sexual drive of a man. While some of these medications might have side effects you’re not interested in experiencing, they can often be very successful at helping reduce libido.